Color inside the Blocks: A New Found Appreciation For Color Blocking

I uscb1ed to be all about patterns. I couldn’t have a plain outfit. My personality was in your face, so my clothes had to be as well. Thank goodness for maturity for helping realize that less is more; in life and in fashion. Recently I have fallen in love with color blocking. Although, I will always flirt with a classic floral, I have found the simple beauty and perfection in color blocking.

Okay, so I’ve ended two paragraphs with ‘color blocking’, what is so fab about it? Color blocking is exactly what you would think it is. Matching solids with solids. Blocking together different colors. It is as simple as it gets. Color blocking in its most simple form is putting together black and white. It always works. It’s a classic. What makes color blocking fun and interesting to me is pairing more bold colors than neutrals. Matching together colors that are more interesting, rich or diverse gives your simple outfit a fashionable feel. The simplicity of throwing a few bold colors together changes everything. It’s no longer shorts and a tank top. It’s a risk. It’s unique. Add a necklace or a watch and it’s an outfit!

colorblocking001

This summer I continued my never ending quest to find a simple, appropriate, and fashionable summer wardrobe. I always find myself in a store with screaming graphic T’s, neon everything, the shortest of short shorts and flower crowns. Who do retailers think I become in the summer months? I’ve started taking matters into my own hands. I need something that is simple and I can wear all summer long. Layering is out of the question when it is 95 degrees out with 100% humidity. Scarves are a death sentence. Hats make my head too sweaty. And anything with a ‘summer’ pattern makes me feel like a 12 year old girl who wants to stand out. Then I thought I would

blocking fun and interesting to me is pairing more bold colors than neutrals. Matching together colors that are more interesting, rich or diverse gives your simple outfit a fashionable feel. The simplicity of throwing a few bold colors together changes everything. It’s no longer shorts and a tank top. It’s a risk. It’s unique. Add a necklace or a watch and it’s an outfit!

colorblocking005

Coloring blocking is a timeless look and can be easy and fun. However, if you are struggling to imagine how to match solids, go back to the basics! Think about a color wheel and complimentary colors. I never thought that complimentary colors looked good together. Blood red and a leaf green, royal purple and sunshine yellow, deep blue and pumpkin orange; these combinations sound (and look) extreme. Bringing two vivid and intense colors together in one outfit can be too much. These combinations work best when you use variations of the hue. Think pink-red and a sweet pea green, lavender and pale yellow, a soft sky blue and coral! Those look gorgeous next to each other! What a statement! But don’t stop at the color wheel. If you ever get stuck, look to Mother Nature for some color combination inspiration. Her eye for color combinations is always on point. Thanks

images

And how could you forget about snappy dressing gentlemen? Color blocking is easy and can give a bold and stylish feel to the most simple outfit. From fashion forward men to the clothing confused guys, he can look fantastic in his favorite colors and rock the color block!

I have really enjoyed playing around with color combinations and seeing how much I can do with only solids. As we begin to ease our way into fall, try a little bit of color blocking in your summer closet while you begin switching to things with sleeves. Color blocking can be a part of any outfit year around.

Have some fun and play with different colors. Go be bold and brave you fabulous color blocking champion!

Smile big,

-L

Recommended Posts