Kendal Penney

Kendal Penney

Title
Chairwoman

Kendal Penney

Home Town: Clarkston, MI

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Chairwoman

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Fourth Year, Prior Involvement:

Volunteer, Campus Relations Chair & Show Vice Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is Franklin Delano Roosevelt – I have always admired FDR since first learning about him. He was a powerful and inspiring leader and accomplished remarkable things for our country during the Great Depression and WWII. The speech he gave addressing Congress after the attack on Pearl Harbor is something that I will always resonate with. He wrote and edited the speech entirely by himself, and when he delivered it he walked to and from the podium even though he was permanently paralyzed. Many Americans were unaware he had suffered from Polio and was paralyzed, another example of strength and encouragement for the American people. Something of that magnitude deserves the upmost recognition because in my opinion he truly protected our country during his time in office.

Which Historic Fashion Time Period do you belong in?

I would have loved have to live during the 1940’s and 1950’s because fashion evolved during this time due to increased technology and access to new textiles and dyes. The role of women in society started to change which in turn influenced the clothing they wore. Many women were joining the work force during this time, and clothing finally became more practical, useful, and more importantly, liberating for them. Fashion during this time was so much more detailed, beautiful and eloquent than ever before and forever influenced the fashion industry.

What impact do you want to make on the show? What are you most looking forward to? Leading a team, what changes or improvements were you focused on for this year’s show?

I want to make an everlasting impact on our show. Every year Style Show has grown and has evolved into something better each year. I remembering watching Style Show my junior year of high school and feeling so inspired to be a part of such a great event. I want our Executive Board to feel that same inspiration to create something historic this year and for years to come! My vision for this year’s show is to have a production where everyone in the audience can resonate with one or more historical figures within our theme. Everybody has a different knowledge of history and I think the figures I selected are the quintessential example of fashion icons over the past two centuries. Each of them had an influence on society, whether it was bringing different mindsets together, changing the stigma of appropriate careers for women, opening our eyes to the strength of American people during tumultuous times, and forever changing the fashion industry. Each one of these historical figures had their impact on culture, and forever changed the threads that bind us together in society.

Madalyn Ramsey

Madalyn Ramsey

Title
Show Vice Chair

Madalyn Ramsey

Home Town: Carleton, MI

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Show Vice Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Third Year, Prior Involvement: Model, Beauty Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is Madeleine Vionnete. Not only do we share the same name, but she was a true innovator in the fashion industry. She was a woman who went against norms and believed in self promotion. She made gorgeous, highly-tailored, simply and sensual garments. Her work is still influencing the fashion industry today!

The historic time period I best belong in is the 1940’s! I love how tastefully chic the fashion is from this time period with the intricate tailoring and silhouettes of the clothing. My personal style has some elements of the ‘40s. I like to wear simple and structured garments.

This year, we really wanted to change up the show, do something unique and different from past years. We changed the layout of the whole show and set a goal for our team to double our ticket sales. We have increased our marketing efforts and are looking to make this show the best one yet!

_RMK8486-2

Paige Podskalny

Title
Style Vice Chair

Paige Podskalny

Home Town: East Jordan, MI

Class Rank: Junior

Executive Board Position: Style Vice Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Third Year, Prior Involvement: Volunteer, Volunteer Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

Edward R. Murrow is my favorite historical figure. Mr. Murrow’s contributions to radio and television broadcasting were both courageous and fearless. His perseverance to tell the truth and honor the differences in our nation during a difficult time are an inspiration to us all. I admire his ability to speak up and use his platform to bring justice to the many wrongs of society.

The historic fashion time period that I believe I belong in is the 1950s. The classic silhouette of A-line dresses and form-fitting cigarette pants gave the perfect feminine feel to any outfit. Adding accessories such as a pearl necklace or a pair of white gloves completed the classic look. I appreciate how women of the 1950’s dressed well at all times and I strive to do the same with my own style. I try to emulate women’s fashions of the 1950s because I find them to exude timeless elegance and beauty. Often, I will add a pearl necklace or cardigan sweater to an outfit; a small tribute to this period.

It is important that we work together to create a show that is exciting, classic, and original. We are working together as a group of diverse individuals with unique opinions for the result of the show. The impact I would like to make on Historic Hemlines is being able to merge our Executive Board’s ideas into one outstanding outcome. I want everyone to feel like they are heard and their ideas matter. This year my team and myself really want to focus on detail. Whether it’s the clothing, hair, makeup, models, or student designers, we are focusing on each distinctive detail that sets the tone for the show. We want our audience to connect with the historic time periods in the show through the modern renditions presented.

Leann Colella

Leann Colella

Title
Marketing Vice Chair

Leann Colella

Home Town: Missoula, MT

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Marketing Vice Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Third Year, Prior Involvement:

Student Designer, Volunteer & Style Vice Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

I have two! I think Lucille Ball is classic, hilarious and wonderful! I also would pick Coco Chanel because she overcame every obstacle in her life and changed women’s fashion forever.

I love the 1940’s. What a rad time in America. We came out of the Depression, unified over the war effort, women went to work and finally, we saw the beginning of the 1950’s era beginning in 1945. The fashion was simple and modest, fitted and innovative. I’d like to think that my style is something similar!

I love Style Show! It is such an incredible, fun and dynamic event. I really want to see the show grow this year and challenge what we can do. I want to work on community involvement and to grow the number of attendees so that we can share the show with more people! Working on building this show with my classmates is such an incredible learning experience. I cannot wait until the show and we can see all of our hard work come to life! I believe in our team this year and I know that we are going to make the 16th Style Show something to remember.

Emily Bakotich

Emily Bakotich

Title
Productions Chair

Emily Bakotich

Home Town: Shelby Township, MI

Class Rank: Junior

Executive Board Position: Productions Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: First Year of Involvement

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is Marie Antoinette. I love how daring she was with fashion; I find it inspiring!

If I had to pick a historic fashion time period that I belong in, I would say the 1990’s! I love the grungy, smoky-styled makeup from that decade. My wardrobe consists of laid back jeans and tee’s which I feel personifies the ‘90s aesthetic. This style is what I am comfortable in and when I feel the most like myself!

Mia Serrano

Mia Serrano

Title
Event Chair

Mia Serrano

Home Town: Laingsburg, MI

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Event Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Fourth Year, Prior Involvement: Volunteer, Fundraising Chair & Student Design Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is Frida Kahlo. Not only is she an exceptional artist, but she was also a very proud and confident woman. She was able to break many gender roles and was able to be in touch with her masculine side as well as her feminine side, and be her true self.

The fashion time period I belong in is the 1960’s. I love the bright, bold colors and prints of the clothing. The ‘60s was also the time period where the miniskirt was born. With that being said, I love shift dresses and playful shorter-length skirts. ‘60s hairstyles are great to look back on, too!

Taryn Cornman

Taryn Cornman

Title
Event Chair

Taryn Cornman

Home Town: Williamsburg, VA

Class Rank: Junior

Executive Board Position: Event Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

If I had to choose, I would say my favorite historical figure is Princess Diana. I loved the elegance of how carried herself in mannerism and in her timeless style. I also appreciate how much she gave back to her community.

I would have to choose the 1960’s. I love the charm of Jackie Kennedy’s style throughout the decade! I draw inspiration from the ‘60’s in my own aesthetic through classy, business-professional attire.

Alix Gardner

Alix Gardner

Title
Gala Chair

Alix Gardner

Home Town: Goodrich, MI

Class Rank: Graduate Student

Executive Board Position: Gala Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Second Year, Prior Involvement: Co-Event Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

I have a very fond view of Audrey Hepburn. Her acting career, philanthropic work, and her status as a fashion icon is absolutely amazing!

As a very loud and outgoing person, I think that the historic fashion time period that I belong in is the 1980’s. With the glitter, big hair, loud fashion, and rockin’ music, I think I would fit in very well with that era!

Taylor Stevens

Taylor Stevens

Title
Special Events Chair

Taylor Stevens

Home Town: Rochester, MI

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Special Events Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Third Year, Prior Involvement: Model & Collections Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is Theodore Roosevelt because of his conservation movements for our national parks and land.

I think I belong in the late 1960’s-1970’s. I like the fashions from this time because there was a lot of new creative freedoms for women that allowed them the liberating freedom to show as much as they wanted. My personal style reflects these aspects because I try to wear what makes me feel powerful and expressive. I think it’s important to experiment with different styles to reflect who you are.

Emma Huck

Emma Huck

Title
Collections Chair

Emma Huck

Home Town: Macomb, MI

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Collections Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Fourth Year, Prior Involvement: Two-Time Volunteer & Collections Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure would have to be Marie Antoinette. I love her for so many different reasons, one being that most people dislike her. She is mainly my favorite because of her exquisite lifestyle. Who wouldn’t want to wear custom made clothing and jewelry, eat expensive food, and marry the King of France?

If I had to choose, I would pick the 1970’s. Fashion during this time was super funky, fun, and functional. There were so many fashion icons during this time I look up to today including: Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie), Diana Ross, Diane Von Furstenberg, Cher, and many more! Hippie pants, peasant blouses, suede jackets, and skirts all reflect 1970’s fashion and can be found in my wardrobe today. I love 1970’s trends mainly because you can be super bold, but also can be very subtle.

Zach Peters

Zach Peters

Title
Collections Chair

Zach Peters

Home Town: Ephrata, PA

Class Rank: Sophomore

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Second Year, Prior Involvement: Model

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure would probably be Michelangelo who was an Italian sculptor, painter, architect, and poet! He was influential in his time for his extraordinary works in the arts and we can now reflect on his accomplishments and pieces today.

I would say the 1950’s on the East Coast, specifically either in Philadelphia or New York. The vehicles at that time were constructed with such artistry and the men’s fashion was very classy. The 1950’s kept a lot of the full-suit style and the clean-cut hairstyles but they also began to incorporate a more relaxed kind of dress for men when going out. Outfits were well put together and usually topped off with a hat like a fedora or porkpie hat. The 1950’s aura of fashion and creativity is something to admire.

Jill Kearney

Jill Kearney

Title
Collections Chair

Jill Kearney

Home Town: Romeo, MI

Class Rank: Junior

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Third Year, Prior Involvement: Volunteer & Social Media Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is Jackie Kennedy. She was an iconic, sophisticated individual that wore a lot of signature pieces such as the pillbox hat and bug glasses. One of my favorite quotes from her is “I want to live my life, not record it.”

I feel that I would belong in the 1970’s! As a whole, I love the hippie trend. Fashion was so bright and spirited through bell-bottom pants, flowered crowns, and patterns which were prevalent in the ‘70s. My style consists of loosely-flowing tops and pants. I am very open-minded to prints and I own a flower crown, too!

Alyson Robinson

Alyson Robinson

Title
Collections Chair

Alyson Robinson

Home Town: Harrison, MI

Class Rank: Sophomore

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Second Year, Prior Involvement: Model & Student Designer

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is Coco Chanel because she wasn’t just a figurehead designer in the fashion industry, but she was an advocate for women. One of my favorite inspirational quotes from her is “In order to be irreplaceable one must be different.”

The historic time period I would belong in is the 1950’s. A personal favorite silhouette of mine that was popular during the ‘50s was a narrow waist paired with a flared skirt. In addition, I enjoy the femininity of the 1950’s and the patterns seen on many of the garments during this decade.

Payge Pacholka

Payge Pacholka

Title
Beauty Chair

Payge Pacholka

Home Town: Bay City, MI

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Beauty Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Fourth Year, Prior Involvement: Three-Time Model & Student Designer

Who is your favorite historical figure?

One historical figure that left quite an impression on me is Carrie A. Nation who was a member of the Temperance Movement that lived from 1846 to 1911. She is remembered today for her “hatchetations” in which she would take her hatchet into various bars and use it to save men from their “drunkard’s fate.” She would damage the property and dispose of the liquor herself! I may not agree with her methods, but any women who is gutsy enough to make her voice be heard in such an impactful way has my respect.

The historic time period I would belong in is the present day! Today, people can take influences and pieces from any period and make it work as an ensemble. Also, the fact that we consumers have the means to be informed and concerned on the materials and productions used to create our personal wardrobes is unlike ever before.

Michelle Geiser

Michelle Geiser

Title
Model Executive Chair

Michelle Geiser

Home Town: Croswell, MI

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Model Executive Chair

Years of Involvement in Style Show: Third Year, Prior Involvement: Volunteer, Public Relations Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

I absolutely love Marilyn Monroe because she is a total babe! Her messages are so powerful and she teaches us to be strong, independent women that can turn into impactful leaders. Just like she says herself, “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

I feel that I would belong in the 1980s-1990s. I was meant to be an ‘80s baby! Acid wash jeans, baggy sweatshirts and even bigger hair are a few of my personal favorites! Although we see the style creeping back, I live for an old salvos vintage hoodie and a choker with my natural hair peeping in. If I could wear an old vintage hoodie everyday, I would! My collection is starting to outweigh everything else I own!

Emily Williams

Emily Williams

Title
Student Design Chair

Emily Williams

Home Town: White Lake, MI

Class Rank: Sophomore

Executive Board Position: Student Design Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

There are so many choices, however, the first thought that came to mind is Marie Antoinette! I find her story captivating and I love all of the excess lavishness in every aspect of her life! I would love to study her life and outfits more closely in the future!

I definitely feel that I belong in the late 1950’s-early 1960’s. Twiggy is a style icon of mine and I would love to rock those lashes everyday! The simplistic elegance of mod fashion has truly captured my heart! I also love the late-1950’s for their greaser and poodle skirt trends. I am waiting for the day when petticoats under skirts come back into fashion!

Angie Karsama

Title
Advertising Chair

Angie Karsama

Home Town: Royal Oak, MI

Class Rank: Junior

Executive Board Position: Advertising Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

I am stuck between Grace Kelly and Debbie Reynolds! I love the old Hollywood glamour that Grace Kelly portrayed in a lot of her fashions. She just always looked so put together and had this quiet confidence about her that appeals to me! As for Debbie Reynolds, I have a lot of respect for her quirky, vintage aesthetic. She was not only a figurehead in style, but in Hollywood as well, and she set a lot of opportunity for women in Broadway and film today!

I have always been fascinated with the 1960’s fashions! I like the ‘60s for the contradictions within this decade. There was a huge following in sleek, form-fitting silhouettes that was inspired by the 1930’s yet there also was the emergence of the bohemian trend which was more loose-fitting and colorful! I also love the simplistic beauty within the mod trend set by fashion icon, Twiggy! I feel that my wardrobe is based around trends that were set in the ‘60s because they appeal most to what I want to project in my own personal style!

Ali Nasrallah

Ali Nasrallah

Title
Public Relations Chair

Ali Nasrallah

Home Town: Dearborn, MI

Class Rank: Sophomore

Executive Board Position: Public Relations Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is John F. Kennedy for many reasons, including his fashion sense. JFK was a fashion icon that set and emphasized many outfits by including statement watches, mismatched suits, dressing down an outfit with sneakers, wearing bowties everywhere, and much more.

I belong in the fashion period of the 1950’s to the 1960’s because many men walked around in tailored suits all had accessories such as hats, pocket squares, and cigars. I also like the ‘60s because there was a change to more unusual combinations of suits. My personal style reflects this era because I’m usually in a suit. I love suits and I wear them for work.

Renee Thompson

Renee Thompson

Title
Chief Financial Officer

Renee Thompson

Home Town: Beaverton, MI

Class Rank: Senior

Executive Board Position: Chief Financial Officer

Who is your favorite historical figure?

Elizabeth Cady Stanton is my favorite historical figure because she was one of the first to fight against adversity in order to advance all the rights of women, especially suffrage. The advancement of women would not be where it is today without her efforts.

I feel that I would belong in the 1960’s fashion time period. I love all the dresses and femininity of the ‘60s. From the early styles of Jackie Kennedy Onassis to the mini dresses of the late ‘60s, a lot of my wardrobe is inspired by this era!

Allison Brown

Allison Brown

Title
Fundraising Chair

Allison Brown

Home Town: Battle Creek, MI

Class Rank: Junior

Executive Board Position: Fundraising Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

My favorite historical figure is Nancy Reagan. In my mind she brought a sense of glamour to the White House that hadn’t been seen before. She helped to give women a new sense of fashion that hadn’t been previously touched on being a First Lady! Aside from all of this, she was also a major advocate to the war on drugs and many other successful campaigns that have helped many people nationwide.

I would belong in the 1940’s time period. I loved the collared necklines on women’s dresses with the cinched waist and belt. It is a classic look that paired with a hat became the norm for women everywhere. I love to wear hats now with any outfit possible and will most likely pair a belt with a dress whenever I can! Living in this time period would have been amazing to walk around with these classic pieces paired with a matching clutch!

Katie Lidgard

Katie Lidgard

Title
Campus Relations Chair

Katie Lidgard

Home Town: Hudsonville, MI

Class Rank: Sophomore

Executive Board Position: Campus Relations Chair

Who is your favorite historical figure?

Jackie Kennedy is my favorite because of the elegance she portrayed in every piece she wore. She brought class back to fashion and impacted trends in that time more than any other person.

I have always believed I belong in the 1960’s due to the playfulness of that time period and the attitude that came along with it. Shorter dresses and skirts were coming back into style and confidence of the individual was the most powerful force during this time. My personal style reflects this time period because of the femininity present in many of the trends. The mini dress, pretty trims, and bows were very popular in the 1960’s and reflect my own image.