ESPM Student Shares His Experience Witnessing Baseball History (While Adding to His Resume)

World Series

Northwood senior Lance Copley had the incredible opportunity this fall to work at Progressive Field during the 2016 World Series. Here, Lance shares a little bit about his experience!

What is your major?

I am a senior majoring in Entertainment, Sport & Promotion Management, or ESPM.
Lance at the World Series
What student organizations are you involved with on campus?

I am involved with ESPMA which is our major’s organization. I also have been a member of the JV Basketball team over the last two years, which plays a major role in being a team player on and off the court.

How did you get involved with this opportunity?

I got involved with the opportunity to work at the 2016 World Series in Cleveland through Delaware North Companies (DNC). DNC runs the concessions (Sportservice) at Comerica Park where the Detroit Tigers play. I have been there three seasons in total, interned 2 summers ago.

What were some of the most important things you learned during this experience?

An important thing I learned through this experience was that all places are different – Comerica Park is way different then Progressive Field (Cleveland Indians Stadium), for instance. Knowing that all places are different can help you make the right decision based on what location you are in. For example, when you cannot reach the warehouse for more product you simply must make a quick decision to go and transfer product from another stand or location.
World Series
How will you apply this experience to your future education and career?

I gained a lot of experience by being able to work at a different ball park. This will help show future employers that I am willing to travel for the job and take on new opportunities when they arise.

Why do you think it is important for students to have these types of experiences while they are in school?

Having experiences like this while in school is a big deal because honestly the time you are in college is so short. If you do not take advantage of these opportunities, you may miss out on meeting that one person or making a difference with one company for the better. This allows you to build your network and establish your own name.

What was the highlight of the experience for you?

The highlight of working behind home plate during games 6 and 7 of the World Series was that I was able to witness history. The Chicago Cubs had not won a title since 1908, the curse was broken, and it was incredible witnessing that type of atmosphere first-hand. Working games 6 and 7 of the World Series was an unbelievable experience – I had a great view of the game while getting the hands-on practice needed to help enhance my resume.