International Graduate Student Shares Experiences at Northwood

International Students posing at a meetingAt Northwood University, we are grateful to serve as a college home to students from many different parts of the world. Having these students as part of our campus family helps to to further our mission to develop the future leaders of a global, free-enterprise society.

Here, Akash Jain Bengani, a DeVos Graduate School student from India, shares his experience at Northwood and in the International Students Organization.

What is your major?
I am pursuing Masters of Business Administration.

What student organizations are you involved with on campus?
I am the President of International Students Organization.

How did you get involved with this opportunity?
It was the inception of spring 2017 when I began at Northwood. We have a pool of international students on campus and there was this international club which already existed. There was a need for new board and I was chosen as the president by the students and our advisor, Rachel Hahn.

What were some of the most important things you learned during this experience?
Most important learning for me has been implementing a new culture of collaborating with international students closely. I learned about developing a culture in my Leadership course and it was the right stage to instigate that into action. I am happy to reach it. Along with that, leading the group with positives, deflecting the conflicts and motivating for more participation has been important part of the learning process in my association with International Students Organization.

How will you apply this experience to your future education and career?
Experience is one entity that keeps on adding as we go through our lives. The experience of motivating students and building a culture in the organization would help me when I open up my own firm in the near future. It is has become easier to collaborate with different mind sets around and that would help me in the future work environments.

Why do you think it is important for students to have these types of experiences while they are in school?
I believe, you never want to learn swimming in the sea. It is always a good idea to start off in a swimming pool.