Small Town Student Takes On the Big City

Makaila stands in front of the Detroit skyline Graduating from a small high school with a class of 46, I would say I’ve always dreamed of what life in a big city would be like. This summer, I was fortunate enough to experience what living in Detroit is like. My name is Makaila Kent and I will be a senior at Northwood this fall. My major is in Innovation Marketing and Management. On campus, I am the President of the Panhellenic Council and a member of two-honor societies – Delta Mu Delta and Order of Omega.

Growing up, I only visited Detroit for Tigers games. Living in Detroit was a thought I had never fathomed. Fast forward to my junior year of college, I had a decision to make. – turn down one of the top rated internships in the country or move to downtown Detroit. Of course, like any growing young professional in search of adventure and experience, I moved to Detroit.

After being at Quicken Loans for a little over two months, I couldn’t be happier with my decision. While at Quicken Loans, I have worked as an intern on the Marketing and Strategy team. On this team I have assisted with numerous internal marketing communication projects including, weekly updates for the Intern Program, meeting requests, email templates and so much more.

At this internship, I have learned that by always being obsessed with finding a better way, your opinion will be highly valued and your network will grow immensely. Senior leaders will recognize your efforts and fellow team members will value your thoughts and ideas. During my internship, I’ve been invited to numerous meetings where my ideas were respected and some were even implemented in a strategy for our talent brand approach on social media. This later led to me generating content for the QLinternships Instagram and becoming the primary account user.

Being able to apply what I have learned in the classroom at Northwood to a professional atmosphere has been rewarding to say the least. It is one thing for a professor to tell you that you will use the business model every day or SMART goals, but when you actually put those hard skills to use on a project, it is more than rewarding.

Makaila near some colorful street artNot only have I been able to build my resume, but I have also been able to grow as a professional by participating in activities provided by Quicken Loans during their Professional Development Month.  Different Professional Development Month events included resume, LinkedIn, and personal finance workshops, speakers in a wide range of positions and companies and so much more. These workshops allowed you to connect with other interns as well as rising business professionals.

My internship at Quicken Loans has helped me expand my network immensely, grow as a professional and gain real world experience. Being a part of something much bigger then you can ever imagine and leaving your comfort zone, is a piece of advice I would give any student looking to propel their career further. Being able to experience the culture of a Fortune 500 company has been a wonderful opportunity. Before Quicken Loans, I worked for a family owned business and a non- profit. Being able to compare the three, has gave me a better insight as to what I’d like to do with my professional career once I graduate in May.

I would like to leave you with one quote that I have based my entire intern adventure off of. This quote was the stepping-stone that gave me confidence in making the decision to move to an unfamiliar area to grow as a better person/ young business professional.

“In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or to step back into safety.” –Abraham Maslow