The Best Things Happen Unexpectedly

Being a college student can be very stressful at times especially when it’s time to start applying for summer internships! I had no idea what I wanted to do or what I was even looking for. All I knew was I needed experience in order to obtain a job after graduation. Last summer I Interned with
a local State Farm Agent. I learned the ins and outs of a local insurance agency. I soon realized that it wasn’t for me! When it was time to start applying for an internship for summer of 2017, I applied for various opportunities which lead me to accept a position with LaFontaine Automotive Group as a Marketing Intern. My name is Samantha Medici and I will be a senior at Northwood University this fall. I have a double major in Marketing and Innovation of Marketing and Management. I’m also part of the Northwood Women’s Soccer team, Innovation Club, DECA and a member of one honor society Delta Mu Delta.

Northwood is always preaching to attend all campus career events. I finally gave in and attended the career fair this past spring! That’s where LaFontaine approached me. They saw me talking to another company next to their booth and heard my 60-second pitch and pulled me aside to talk! Right then and there I was offered an onsite interview. There I met Carlito Mojica the director of marketing and this is how it all started.

My internship at LaFontaine Automotive Group has been very educational. In the beginning of the internship, I learned a lot about the automotive business, that I didn’t know before. I was also introduced to the marketing and advertising segment of LaFontaine. I learned the importance of Vehicle Merchandising, keeping up with the social post, watching how to create an add content, attending meetings, maintaining the blog and overall the importance of social media and how to reach your customer base. LaFontaine has opened my eyes to endless opportunities to grow my knowledge in the marketing field. I have been able to put what I have learned in the classroom to test but realized there is so much more to learn. Everything that I have done at LaFontaine will be valuable no matter what path I take in the future. This internship has made a positive impact on my future plans. I really enjoyed being a part of a successful marketing team and learning new things every day. I have realized that I truly believe I belong in a marketing department like LaFontaine’s. I enjoy the analytics of what we do and the creation of content that promotes LaFontaine’s brand. It’s important while in college to seek out internships because they truly show you what you like and dislike while growing your resume for your future careers.