Meet the DECA E-Board President

We met up with the DECA E-Board and asked them a few questions. Here is what President Amanda Schmidt had to say:

Picture of DECA President

What is your class year?

2018

What is your major? 

Operations and Supply Chain Management

How many years have you been in DECA?

5 years

What campus organizations are you involved in apart from DECA?

Delta Zeta (Vice President Recruitment), Order of Omega, Student Alumni Network, NUIAS

What do you hope to accomplish in DECA during the 2017-18 school year? 

Personally, my goal is to place top three at the State Leadership Development Conference as well as the International Career Development Conference in Washington D.C. for my competitive event. For the chapter, I would like to see us excel in volunteering and giving back to the community. I also would like for the number of students who attend the state and international competition to double. Northwood DECA is full or very smart, competitive students who will succeed in competition.

Why do you think it is important to be involved in groups like DECA at Northwood? 

I think that it is very important to be involved in groups like DECA because there are so many lifelong skills that you are learning. During my time in DECA, I’ve become a better leader and presenter. I also am able to think on my feet to problem solve during real world business situations. Groups such as DECA truly prepare students for the business world.

What has been the highlight of your DECA career so far?

So far the highlight of my DECA career was the Collegiate DECA International Career Development Conference last year in Anaheim, California. Northwood DECA was able to take 13 students to the competition. My partner Anna and I placed top 10 in our event, Business Research!

What us your favorite part about DECA? 

My favorite part about DECA is the lifelong connections that you make through competitions, workshops, and event.