Meet DECA E-Board Vice President of Communication

We met up with DECA E-Board Vice President of Communication, Taryn Cornman and here is what she had to say:

What year are you?

Senior

What is your major?

Healthcare Management and Management

How many years have you been in DECA?

8 years

What campus organizations are you involved in apart from DECA?

Delta Mu Delta; Order of Omega; Alpha Gamma Delta (Vice President Operations, Membership Coordinator, Website Coordinator); Healthcare Occupation Students of America (President); St. Jude Up ‘til Dawn

What do you hope to accomplish in DECA during the 2017-18 school year?

To continue to grow the organization and the amount of members that will compete at the state and international competition. Last year we had a 100 members and we are working to hit 150 members this year!

Why do you think it is important to be involved in groups like DECA at Northwood?

Professional business organizations like DECA allow you to not only put what you have learned in school to use but teach you soft skills that are necessary for the business world. DECA focuses on the marketing, finance and accounting, business administration and management, and entrepreneurship career tracks by giving members the chance to learn more about these industries and the opportunities available. For example, if someone is interesting in going into hotel and lodging, one of our national advisory board members is Marriott International and they are always working with members to teach them about the industry and career opportunities within their company.

What has been the highlight of your DECA career so far?

My proudest moment in DECA was last year when we brought 25 members to compete at the State Career Development Conference when the year prior we only brought three. Collegiate DECA’s executive board works hands on with the members and has been able to inspire them to be more involved and compete. Collegiate DECA has allowed me to be a true student leader and learn what it means to lead a team and be flexible This organization has truly changed by life and I would not be where I am today without DECA.

My favorite part about DECA is that it has allowed me to find life long friends and network with people that I otherwise may have never met.  DECA has also provided me with mentors that inspire me and have helped