Northwood University

The Northwood University Study Abroad Blog

Experience of a Lifetime

I have been given the wonderful opportunity to participate in the 2011 Study Abroad Trip to Asia with Professor Robert Harris and 8 other students. Although we are only a little more than half way through this trip, I have enjoyed the overall experience and new adventures we have daily, whether it’s touring factories, learning about the different cultures, or exploring on our own.

Our first stop was Thailand, where we got to have a look at many things such as: temples, Hellfire’s Pass, the grand palace, and the Jim Thompson house. We got to hear about a couple of businesses such as a rubber plantation, Danakin (air conditioning factory), TKT (Toyota manufacturing plant), and the Mahanakorn project (my favorite by far). In Thailand, their food is a bit spicier than some of the other places we visited and a lot spicier than anything I’ve ever had in America.

Next we headed over to Malaysia, where we only spent two nights and three days, but I enjoyed every bit of it. Our hotel was located in the downtown area, so we were surrounded by so much to do. We learned about Islamic banking one day at the local university and took a tour of Genting Highlands the next day.

Now we are in Vietnam where we have visited Ho Chi Minh (South Vietnam) and Hanoi (North Vietnam). I thought it was very interesting how different the north and south are from one another. In the south it seemed much more diverse, where the north seemed to be mainly locals but more developed overall. The highlight of Vietnam for me would have to be a tie between the Cu Chi Tunnels in South Vietnam or the cyclo tour we took around town in North Vietnam.

The remainder of the trip will consist of stops in China, to see the Great Wall, and Hawaii, where we will visit Pearl Harbor. I am so excited and I can’t wait!!!

-Iesha Renee
top picture: statues of chinese warriors
bottom picture: sky tram to Genting Highlands

weissm