Northwood University

The Northwood University Study Abroad Blog

Semester in Asia 2012

Sitting atop the roof of the Bong Sen Hotel in District 1 of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam I could not help to look out over the city I never thought I would see and contemplate over everything I had seen in the previous 4 weeks. People, places, foods, and lifestyles that I had only heard about, but had now seen. At our first stop at the 7 Eleven on our way to JHL from the airport after arriving in Thailand I remember thinking wow I dont know what I have gotten myself into, only to wake up the next morning and see an amazing Buddhist temple and Buddah Mountain. I have been blown away every single day of the past 4 weeks, we have not had a dull moment yet! I cannot pick out a favorite day, or place, or event because they have all been once in a lifetime. We have traveled by every means possible, by big plane, little plane, big boat, little boat, fast boat, slow boat, bus, tuk tuk, elephant, taxi, train, cable car, cyclotour, golf cart, but most of all by FOOT! It has been an experience I will never forget! Just to name a few, we have seen Hellfire Pass, Phi Phi Island, The Emerald Buddah, Bangkok, and Ho Chi Minh City. We have seen ancient history with our own eyes as well as seen the saddness of war history here in Vietnam. Most of all, for me, I have been surprised and captivated by the kindness and the smiles of the Asian people, they have been by far the most welcoming and open-hearted people I have ever witnessed.  To top it all off, I have been blessed with being on this trip with 6 other amazing students whom I will remain friends with for a lifetime, and one genius of a professor that has made seeing the once thought impossible, possible!

Next stop…HAWAII!

barkerk